I am sitting here in a quiet house – a very rare thing for me! The kids are at church with Nini and Papa and Mike’s at a meeting. I have about 40 things to do around the house but I wanted to put down a few of my favorite things about today:
* waking up and snuggling up to the most wonderful man in the world – it was cold this morning (see below)
* heat – our gas ran out late last night (we have new gas water heaters and the company had underestimated how much we would use) so we were cold until about lunch time – heat is a good thing in January
* reading Emma’s research paper about Hermit Crabs – it is soo cute – she is a great little writer
* watching Drew eat ice cream – nothing is cuter than a 3 year old with ice cream all over his mouth
* watching Luke be a man – after Drew knocked down his train track – Luke said “that’s no way to respect a man” he is the funniest kid – I have no idea where he came up with that
* going to Cones and Coffee with my kids – it’s the closest thing to Starbucks we have here – good latte and great kids
* a long chat on the phone with one of my favorite people in the world – Stephanie
* a few minutes alone in the car – sometimes that is where I do my best connecting with God
Here is Parents magazine pick for cars for families -didn’t see the Honda mini-van on there but I still love mine -even if it is a mini-van! Gotta admit the turn around seats in the Chrysler are pretty cool but it looks like throw up just waiting to happen with my car sick little one!
Last night Drew helped me cook while Mike took Emma and Luke to bball practice. Took a little extra time (ok alot of extra time) and a bigger mess to clean but it was worth it. He loves to help in the kitchen. We made fish tacos. My friend Sonda used to live in California and these are big out there. This summer she told me how to make them. If you’ve never tried them – you are missing out. Here is how I do it (Sonda hope I don’t mess this up)
I used talapia
Cut the fish into bite sized chunks
– last night I fried them with a beer batter mix
– or you can grill or pan fry in a little olive oil season with a little salt and lime juice
Make the sauce (this is what makes them sooooo good)
– mix together some mayo, sour cream, lots of chopped cilantro, tabasco to taste and a little lime juice and enough water to make it slighty runny (I like it a little runnier than salad dressing)I think Sonda didn’t make it with sour cream but I use reduced fat sour cream so I don’t feel like I am using so much mayo I don’t know how much of everything to tell you because I just make it in a cereal bowl and that’s about how much we need
To make the tacos
– warm tortillas (I use flour but you could do corn) put the fish on top with shredded cabbage ( use the preshredded cole slaw kind to cut down on prep time – I actually used broccoli slaw last night – it’s healthier than just cabbage)top with the sauce (don’t be stingy – this mixes with the cabbage and makes kind of a slaw)
fold it up and enjoy!) You can also top it with salsa and guacamole
Have fun – it brings a little summer on a cold day!
I have had this on my fridge for several years now. I cut it out of a Focus on Your Child magazine and I wish I had read it at about 9am this morning instead of now before going to bed – there’s always tomorrow. It has been one of those days! If you’ve had one too – read this. This is a scan of the one on my fridge – I was too lazy to type it. Just click on it and it will be large enought to read. Better yet print it out and stick it on your fridge.
Here is a crazy story. We used to eat dinner at TJ’s almost every Sunday night when we lived in Winston – there was one across the street from our church. I thought we had deer problems at our house.
I ran across this video and got a good laugh. It is a “infomercial” type skit from 1948 from Simplicity Sewing Patterns. So girls do you have “the know-how” look. It’s a long video just watch the first couple of minutes.
Where we buy our fair trade coffee for Cornerstone
Where to get other coffee stuff (cups, sleeves, etc) for chuch
Where to get everything printed – cheap
Great children’s ministry stuff – all their documents and great ideas
Great church in Charleston SC – lots of ideas and free documents
Free documents from this AWESOME church
Where I just ordered my new side table from – finally that void beside my couch is filled
Just found this awesome kids furniture site
Youth stuff and movie reviews
Most of my homeschool curriculum
A great blog with awesome recipes
If you homeschool and haven’t heard of this for every book imaginable you must live under a rock
Just a few – I’ll put up more later – I am too frustrated with internet shopping (for clothes) to post any of those sites – more about that later
Mike and I had a date yesterday! We went to Winston and did a little shopping and then went our to dinner at Village Tavern (one of our favorite restaurants). We also went to the mall and I got my Starbucks fix (grande nonfat carmel macchiato). The kids stayed with Papa and Nini and ended up spending the night there because we were later than expected getting home because of an accident. So – it’s off to pick up the little guys and get some school work started.