I am doing this post as much for myself as anyone, but hopefully it will be helpful and create some interesting discussion. I have to tell you before I start that Emma and I went to Galax Elementary and signed her up for fourth grade. Not the greatest experience – kinda like getting a drivers license or registering to vote – sterile and not that friendly or informative. I am hoping the open house next week will impress me.
So, the great things about homeschooling:
- being with your child – I know alot of parents can’t wait to send their kids back to school but I love having my kids around
- having control over their curriculum to study what intrests them
- the ability to customize to their learning styles, strengths and weaknesses
- being able to travel, take field trips and learn outside the classroom
- being able to go places while everyone else is in school
- other homeschoolers (this one will also be on my list of things that are not so appealing about homeschool)
- having my 3 children help each other learn
- with Mike’s schedule as a pastor homeschooling is better for his schedule because he is busy on weekends and nights and has a little more free time during the week days
- watching your children learn – seeing the light bulb go off in their little brains is so rewarding
- less wasted time – kids waste a lot of time at school
- ability to do more extra activities and sports because they aren’t so tired from a long day at school
- not getting out to take them to school when it’s cold
- being able to do school outside in the fall and spring
- of course, being able to weave God into every learning experience and feeling free to have God as a part of education
So why am I sending her to public school?
Maybe my next post will answer that. Feel free to comment and add to my list.